As I wrote in my previous post, I have been participating in the second round of the Pillow Swap over on flickr. Don’t tell anyone but, this is the first pillow that I have ever made–well in fabric–I did crochet myself a pillow once…. Anyhow, I just finished up my pillow this morning and wanted to share it with you. I started with these fabrics(they got edited just a tad as I went along) & some Kona cotton in Snow:
Pillow for my partner
Cathedral windows were first on the agenda. It’s a design that I have been wanting to try for awhile just never got around to it. I had several tutorials already saved in my favorites so I read over them. The one I found most helpful was this one by Hyena In Petticoats–although there are several with a simple google search.
I decided to feature a little bit of applique within the pillow as well. I had seen some applique stitching that I wanted to try that gives a really neat effect–plus, I loved the idea of adding some cute birds.
I used my darning foot, feed dogs down & stitch length set to 0 & then just went around the birdie several times adding the legs, fluff, beak & eye after several passes. I also used a fusible innerfacing on the back which is something I do quite often when doing any sort of applique–this really helps even out your stitches and prevent puckering.
And, here’s the finished product:
I added the small gray border and a fun little strippy border using 1″ strips of fabric–took quite a few of those little boogers LOL. I did just a little bit of machine quilting using a gray thread to outline the center portion as well as the gray border. I finished off the pillow with a hand sewn binding. I really love the binding and how it finishes off the pillow–definitely something I’ll be doing again–maybe even for pillow #2. =)
And the other little birdies:
For the back, I added a little ticker tape border and a pocket closure.
The pillow finished out at 18″. I hope my partner loves it as much as I enjoyed making it!