My Little Sewer

1. Cheryl says:

The cover looks great! I was wondering how old your daughter is and how old was she when you first let her use the sewing machine, iron, etc. I have a 6 year old son who wants to try to sew and I have him working on a hand sewing project but was wondering what would be the right age to introduce machine sewing.

Thanks!
    Cheryl

• Sarah says:

Hi Cheryl, my 6yo son was interested in learning to sew this July so I taught him. He was fine with the machine, remembering the procedure and everything. He made a little cushion that he stuffed with toy fill and hand sewed shut. Now he wants to sew all the time! Because he’s a sensible kid I let him go and make what he wants now. I’m always close by somewhere but I don’t have to sit right there with him anymore.

2. Chicago Sarah says:

Cute! How fun to get to the point where she can sew her own projects. 🙂

3. Mary says:

How exciting. It is a wonderful hobby for life.

4. I was teaching my Granddaughter to sew and she was having a hard time getting the 1/4″ right. How can I help her?

5. Karee says:

Each day she reads her Bible, she may feel about her scriptures and her sweet mother who taught her so many things as Paul did about the people: Philippians 1:3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you.

6. Nancy of IN says:

Great job. Fun project for the beginning or experienced sewer.

7. Marcia R. says:

Tell her I also think she has a great eye for color!

8. palak says:

awww… I love that you are sewing with your little girl… I’ve started typing ‘sewist’… I know it drives some people crazy!

9. sarah schraw says:

I automatically read it “sew” but laughed pretty hard in the middle of Starbucks when I looked again and thought of it the other way. 🙂

10. prsd4tim2 says:

Good for Chloe! She must have such a sense of satisfaction from having something so concrete to show for her effort!

As for “sewer” and “sewer”, I have begun using “sewist” as well for that very reason. Seamstress just doesn’t seem to work any more, and quilter is much to narrow. So, despite the opposition I’ve heard to the word, “sewist” it is – although I’m more than willing to entertain other ideas.

11. Cheryl says:

I’m looking forward to the supersized block you show. Hope they stay up a while, since I’ll be out of town, and won’t be able to print until Oct. Thanks!

12. Jody says:

Oh Corey, you are the BEST mom!!! I’ll have to check out Chloe’s bible next Sunday. She’s getting to be like you 🙂 I never know what you’ll do next!!